Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bill Cunningham New York

St. Paul, Minnesota 2011 

 St. Paul, Minnesota 2011 

 St. Paul, Minnesota 2011 

 St. Paul, Minnesota 2011 


St. Paul, Minnesota 2011 

Recommended by a friend, I watched Bill Cunningham New York the movie last night. Bill is the man! He shoots for the New York Times' fashion section ... with a semi-automatic 35mm Nikon and a mix of color negative and B&W film. He also carriers a hand-held manual Vivtar flash when everyone around him has a Nikon D3 with speedlights. He's also the jolliest person with the Carleton quirkiness! (Though he did not go to Carleton.)

I wasn't able to sit down and read philosophy after this. Instead I looked back at my own film shots that I've been scannin in since my return from Vietnam. These pictures above were taken early last summer. I was wearing some CUT gear and the girl fishing in the picture introduced herself as the captain of the UofMN Women's Ultimate team. (Notice the shadow detail that film keeps!!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Did you watch the movie in the twin cities? I really wanted to watch that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it up here by Carleton College actually. It's worth watching if you're a photography fan :)

    ReplyDelete