Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tình Cảm





Literally translated, this is the Bridge of Stars (as in twinkle, twinkle, little star). Its not particularly stunning by Western standards, but its very futuristic relative to the rest of Vietnam.

Yesterday I learned that argument in Vietnamese culture is not based on logic, rather it is based on something called tình cảm. I'm not really sure what's a good translation for this word. I would call it compassion. Dad says it's sympathy. Google translate says its emotional. According to dictionary.com, I think sympathy is most semantically similar. But long story short, tình cảm takes priority over logic. And so in an argument, even if one party is completely logical, that person is not necessarily ... "correct". As a philosophy major whose grown up in a dominantly Western-influenced culture, this is a difficult lesson for me to holistically absorb.

No comments:

Post a Comment