Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vietnam vs. Paris


I asked my older sister* Chi Vun within a culture where one has sooo many siblings, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and cousins in general, what is the role of a [biologically unrelated] friend?

She responded that one always hangout with family first. When they are gone/busy/not-in-need-of-help, then you hang out with friends. This doesn't mean that friends and family can't mix, but I couldn't help thinking how different this large-family culture was from my Parisian experience.

*My older sister is actually my younger cousin, but in Vietnamese, I address her as older sister cause her parents, who are my parents' siblings, are older. Confusing, I know. Every form of address recognizes maternal/paternal lineage, hierarchy, and formality. And you'll see a picture of Chi Vun soon enough. But for next couple days, I'm off to the ocean :)

Oh, top picture is a man selling eggs via moped and the bottom pic is the opening/closing of the padlock (of the front door).

No comments:

Post a Comment