Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ballet


After a few hours of sleep and my last night as Class Host of Carleton's Class of 2006, I came home and prepared for some portraits of ballet dancers. I came into it knowing I wouldn't have access to strobes and was a little nervous. I almost talked myself out of even showing up. I knew there would be other photographers there all with their own lighting equipment. All I have is light reflector and no assistant.

When I showed up, I took a while to find my set, figured out the lighting (e.g. lamps, windows, open doors), carefully propped the set, and was then told they were not looking for these artsy types of shots and that I had found a room we weren't allowed in. After that, I think I just started to feel intimated by the other photographers with their lights and this demand for a fast-pace shoot. I had learned to slow myself down in Paris, but I guess in commercial photography, clients believe lots of photos is an efficient use of time. Paris taught me to shoot for the image, not just to shoot images. I wished they had just given me more benefit of the doubt and respected my workflow (like Carleton does!), but upon reflection, I didn't go in confident, I didn't act confident, I didn't sound confident, and I didn't voice anything I mentioned in the post.

Long story short, I didn't believe I was the best photographer in that room. It doesn't need to be true, but to some degree, you have to believe your the best to produce the greatest results for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment