Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Biggest Impressions


Here's some more of Jules with his straighten (and less straightened) hair.  The rest of this post has nothing to do with the pictures (as has been the case recently).

It seems to me that a person can have everything going for himself and receive many positive complements throughout the day.  But it always seems to be the one negative comment that overshadows the hundreds of positive ones.  No matter what happened, this is the one that always stays on your mind and, for whatever reasons, always seems to outweigh everything else.

It is sort of interesting to think about.  If you want someone to never forget you; if you want to make a big and lasting impression, you really only need to deliver one seemingly genuine (if not actually genuine) negative comment that the recipient will take in a serious manner.  Reasonably, these people are often not your friends.  This brings me to a quote from Spider Man from when my brother and I use to watch Saturday morning cartoons:  Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.


I've never really taken the time to think over this quite myself or to see what other people had to say about it.  I think very highly of my brother (and he is most certainly the smarter brother).  So when he told me what he believed it meant, I took it straight to heart.  He interpreted it to mean that your friends will lie to you, essentially making everything seem flowery and pleasant, while it is your enemies that will tell you the truths about yourself that you do not want to hear.  And in this sense, it is important to have people who are not afraid to tell you things as they are to your face.  And when one has a friend that will do this, that is most certainly a valuable friend.

Thanks for reading,
Hai

No comments:

Post a Comment